Saturday, January 31, 2015

First FMQ Attempt

I finally found the courage to place a quilt top under the needle and go for it !!
By no means is the finished product perfect, but for a first try I am content with the outcome. I learned alot along the way - I had MANY errors as you will see - and I just kept plugging along. Take a look:

in each row, I tried a different design
swirls here

loops in the gray area

stars in the jungle print


hearts in the gray/red small print



loop - de - loop vines



here I did geometric squares

This was so hard to photograph - I'm not sure that any of the pictures were very effective in showing my work. Sorry for that -- for me though, it is a great document of my first try at this technique. What I have learned is that I need to continue practicing this and other stitching styles and DO NOT BE AFRAID. The worst that can happen is that I have to rip out some stitches if they are tryly awful.

What did your first try look like? How long did it take you to see marked improvement in your stitching?

Have a great day,
Pamela



2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Congratulations on jumping into FMQ'ing! Really it is the only way to get better is to do it on a real quilt! I am so impressed with all the different quilting styles you used on this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I have 5 more tops lined up to go - but I need more practice before I tackle them. When they say to start in the middle of the quilt - I took that literally and so although my stitch was "row" oriented I had a break in the middle of the strip of fabric. Next time I will start at the EDGE of the middle and go across, then reverse the direction for the next row to keep from bowing. I think that will work better.

      Delete

I love comments, please leave yours!