Wednesday, January 28, 2015

WIP Wendsday #2

I purchased this fabric last year -was completely in love with it - only a yard - but I couldn't figure out how to use it so it sat on my shelf for quite some time. It was almost like a painting and I hated to cut it up into little pieces that wouldn't show off the image. Then I decided to cut out a piece and try using it as a center "medallion" and see where it took me.

so far this is what I have:





I had a couple of false starts with the border ideas, I had alot of softer prints with a low volume background blocks that I had made - flying geese and some wonky crosses - they looked terrible! I realized that with this strong of a central fabric - I wanted to use bolder colors to stay in balance with the strength of color in the center fabric.

I continued making this next pieced border, then I decided to see what a curvy border would look like, so I grabbed a grunge white & an old batik mottled green/blue ( I figured if it was a flop, I wouldn't feel bad about "wasting" that old batik ) and bravely cut my FIRST improv curve border strip. It was very easy and sewed together in a breeze. The result was this:






I like it quite alot, but I want to add a dark strip between the 3" bars and the white portion of the curve, I feel it needs the visual definition. So I've made 4 more curve strips and have the black text print cut to add in. I need to select cornerstones for each border and figure out what comes next. I'll be cutting back the green curve fabric - I know it is too wide - I just didn't know how the curve cutting border would play out and I wanted to make sure I had enough.

Stay tuned for progress updates as it grows. Thinking about a name. Any 
suggestion?

Linking up with Freshly Pieced.

Have a great day,

Pamela



6 comments:

  1. That piece is amazing, you were right not to cut it up too much. It would have lost the "integrity" of the whole. I love the colors you have chosen. And the curve border is perfect. Who woulda thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I too was pleasantly pleased with what the curve added. I still have quite a bit of the original yard of the center fabric.....what to do with the rest...hmmmmm

      Delete
  2. Very interesting fabric! A medallion quilt is a perfect way to make it the focal point and still have lots of fun putting the quilt together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, I searched far and wide for more of that print - but by the time I discovered it - long gone !!

      Delete
  3. I like the fabric in the middle, it almost looks like a painting. This will make a beautiful wall hanging. Can't wait to see how it progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryse ! I think that is why I was stumped about what to do with it. Cutting it up into small bits would ruin the whole point of the design I think. I'm happy with how it looks and I have so many colors I can pull into the borders. I'll be sure to post progress shots as I go along.

      Delete

I love comments, please leave yours!